Open for Professionals

Information for Highly-skilled Foreign Professionals Regarding Measures Related to COVID-19

JETRO has compiled information for highly-skilled foreign professionals regarding measures announced by the Japanese ministries and agencies in relation to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) .

Re-entry of Foreign Nationals Who Possess the Status of Residence

Since November 30, 2021, the Government of Japan decided the suspension of “Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals and on restrictions on activities after entering into Japan for persons with a vaccination certificate of COVID-19” by new measures for border enforcement (19) until December 31, 2021. The acceptance of application forms from responsible persons to the ministries in charge and issuing screening certificate will be suspended until December 31, 2021. From November 30, 2021 until December 31, 2021, newly entry will be denied under this measure.
Currently, foreign nationals/people who are willing to enter Japan need a visa newly issued by Embassies or Consulates or Consular Office of Japan (for Taiwan, Taipei Kaohsiung offices of Japan-Taiwan Exchange Association) (hereinafter referred to as “Japan’s overseas establishments”) in the country/region depending on the purpose of their entry.

Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border TravelExternal site: a new window will open

To Foreign Nationals Who Are Willing to Enter or Re-enter Japan

To Foreigners Working in Companies

  • The Immigration Services Agency of Japan provides multilingual support such as consultations by phone from non-Japanese people whose lives have otherwise been affected by COVID-19, and consultation guidance when non-Japanese people do not know the procedure for issuing a vaccination voucher.
  • Even when the new coronavirus (COVID-19) has caused a decrease in business for the company, foreign workers are not allowed to be treated less favorably than Japanese workers just because they are foreigners.
  • The subsidy the national government pays companies to protect worker employment can be used for Japanese as well as foreign workers.
  • Companies cannot freely fire you at will. When a company wants to fire a foreign worker, the same rules as Japanese workers must be followed.
  • If you need help, please consult your local labor bureau, labor standards supervision office or public employment security office (Hello Work).